Tuesday, November 22, 2011

5 Things to remember when making a photo book from my FACEBOOK photos.

There are now approximately 50 gajillion people on Facebook now.  Most likely it’s either you or someone you know.  Some people do Facebook once a week if that, and some go on Facebook before their bathroom visit in the morning!  However you use Facebook, most likely we all have photos on Facebook.  I know I do.

I thought it would be cool to make a photo book from all my photos on FACEBOOK.  Keyword: THOUGHT.  I was half right and half wrong.  A couple months ago I made a PhotoFaceBook of the shots on my facebook and it totally stunk.  It wasn't the fault of the photo book company (full disclosure: Silver Street Media) but it was my fault for not knowing these things ahead of time.
I suffered so you don't have to!  Before you go through the pain make sure you look at my list of things to remember when you are ready to make a photo book from Facebook.

1.  The photos on Facebook are just that, photos on Facebook.  These photos are meant to be seen on Facebook.  That’s why I tag people in the picture with funny names to annoy my friends.

2.  Photos on Facebook are not good quality.  This is NOT an insult.  My photos ROCK and your photos are awesome of course.  But when you upload photos to Facebook the quality drops.  I had to learn this the hard way.  My PhotoFaceBook came out all pixillated.  UGH!  Remember: If everyone had high quality photos on their Facebook it would take up WAAAY too much real estate at Mark Zuckerburg’s house!

3.  If you are going to use photos from your Facebook you won’t be able to make those photos FULL size in your photo book.  That’s just a fact.  After I made the ugly PhotoFaceBook I learned my lesson and if the photo came from Facebook, no matter how awesome it was, the photo had to be small.  If a photo book company isn’t telling you that they are very very bad. 

4.  If you have many photos on your Facebook page that will be better since your photos will be on the smaller side, perhaps 4 to 6 photos per page.  So if there are many photos then you can fill up a good size book.  If you have only a few photos, perhaps wait till there are more.  I have tons of photos so I filled up the normal size book.  Sometimes those books are fun to look at because they are so busy.

5.  Another idea before making a PhotoFacebook, you can ask those people who have uploaded the photos you love to send you the original photo via e-mail so that you can get a possible better quality photo.  Then intersperse the better quality photos with the other pictures so that there is variety in your book.  This only works if you have friends who know how to send photos on e-mail.  Some of my friends don't know how.  I don't know how they are on Facebook but they are.

Any other thoughts about a PhotoFaceBook?