Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Photobooks in the news: Don't Leave your Photos on the Computer!!

I scan the web for all things and everything about photobooks.  Recently I came across a great article from Dublin, Ireland on an online paper called The Independent and it was a great post about advice for taking family pictures and in particular about photographing kids.  The author, Bernice Mulligan, talks to a professional photographer who really shows her expertise when she mentions a specific piece of advice:
"When you’re photographing children, you have to remember the main law: ‘kids rule’.  When I’m photographing my daughter I stop when I can see she’s getting tired or bored. I don’t want her to get fed up of me taking pictures of her, so if she’s not in the mood, I don’t force it.”
I can totally identify with this because I'm constantly taking photos of my 3 year old son for a couple photo books that I'm making at the moment.  There's a length of time that he will smile, there's a finite period of time that he will act goofy for the camera, and when I reach that moment, heaven and earth will not make him pose the way I want again. 

The main reason though I wanted to point out this great article is because at the end the professional photographer gives a great piece of advice.  She mentions that the photos you take shouldn't be left on the computer. 
"Don’t leave your photos on the computer! I like to make storybooks of my pictures.  They look like coffee table books and are actually very reasonable these days. Instead of hanging millions of pictures on your walls, they’re a great way of having your favourite pictures there in front of you to leaf through.  A photobook can also make a lovely present for somebody.  You’ll find loads of online companies offering the storybook option. Just download the software to design the book yourself, and then they will print it and send it back to you. It’s great fun, completely addictive and a gorgeous thing to receive in the post."
Great advice.  I've had the situation too many times where I fire up the old computer to show people the photos I took last summer on my trip only to find out that the computer is so slow and they've lost interest after I find a virus on the hard drive and decide to scan for more.  ARG!

The other great idea she has is to make storybooks out of her pictures.  This starts many ideas running through my head!

If you have seen some articles out there about photobooks or photos or books post them in the comments because I'd love to read them!